Sleep is an essential part of our day and the fundamental pillar of our health. This is often overlooked or deprioritised meaning our bodies are not given enough vital time to rest and re-charge.
In our modern, hyper-connected day, we are now finding that we need to truly disconnect and prepare our body clock for a quality sleep session. Our circadian rhythm is responsible for the shifts between our sleep and wake cycles and helps to balance our body temperature, hormone releases, blood pressure, heart rate and digestive functions as well as our overall nutrient and energy metabolism. The use of electronic devices and exposure to EMF throughout the day disrupts our body clock making it harder to get a good night’s sleep.
Getting the right amount and quality of sleep provides an opportunity for our bodies to grow, consolidate information, reorganise neural connections, boost our immune system, eliminate toxins, maintain well-being and many more benefits.
There’s plenty of advice available to help us improve the quality of our sleep so here are our Top 5 tips for better sleep:
- Use more natural lighting in the evening: We have lost touch with the natural rise and setting of the sun which helps to control our circadian rhythm since the introduction of electric lighting. While blue and green light during the day is good for us, as part of the full light spectrum, artificial blue light during the evening can adversely affect our ability to wind down and prepare for sleep. Incorporate more natural amber and red lighting into your evening routine by using candle light or a blue and green light-free lighting alternative.
- Banish screens before bed to reduce blue light exposure: Your TV, phone, laptop and any other devices you use all emit blue light which can trick your body into thinking it’s still daytime. This inhibits the production of the sleep hormone melatonin which we need to prepare ourselves for sleep. Consider reading before bed instead of watching TV and ensure your devices have a blue light screen protector to filter out blue light.
- Make your bedroom a digital-free zone: Swap out using your phone’s alarm clock for an old-fashioned analogue alarm clock and remove your TV from your bedroom. Not only will this help to stop the temptation of scrolling aimlessly before bed or watching a late-night, it will also help to reduce your exposure to electromagnetic frequencies while you sleep.
- Boost your sleep with grounding: Discover the many benefits that earthing can bring to your sleep and overall health by adding grounding into your bedtime routine. Add an earthing sheet, mattress cover or pillow case to your bed to help improve the quality of your sleep.
- Establish a regular sleep schedule: Sleep experts recommend prioritising sleep and establishing a regular sleep schedule, i.e. going to bed at the same time every night and waking at the same time each morning. This helps ensure your body consistently gets the correct amount of sleep it needs.
For more information and to discover our range of products that have been specifically developed with better sleep in mind visit groundedwellness.co.uk. Holistic Bliss readers can enjoy 5% off any full-priced item in their cart by using the promo code Bliss5 at the checkout.
Subscribe at: www.groundedwellness.co.uk/join-our-club
Grounded Wellness is the UK home of earthing and digital wellness products, bringing earthing, EMF and blue light protection products from leading worldwide brands to UK customers. Based in England, Grounded Wellness ships worldwide. You can discover the full range of products at their site.