Working online compared to working in person allows us flexibility and convenience, yet it can also take a toll on our sense of wellness, with fatigue, strain and lack of connection to others. Here are some tips for turning our online work space into a wellness space.
Brighten up your workspace
Surround yourself with pleasant odors and colors to beautify the work space
with fresh air, flowers or plants, or natural fragrances.
- Let fresh air and sunlight, a view of nature (even on the screen), or natural moonlight filter through your workspace. Go outdoors, if possible, for regular breaks. Walking barefoot on the earth, if it is safe and desired, connects you with the electromagnetic frequencies of the planet.
- Consciously claim your personal space. Release what is not yours, through exhaling, words, and/or intention, returning it with love to where it belongs. Claim what is yours with an inhale, words and/or intention.
Pay attention to your body
- Wear comfortable clothing. If only the top half of the body is seen by others, you may want to wear informal options below the waist, including loose fitting pants, fuzzy socks, warm slippers, or bare feet.
- Stretch and move about when time allows. Keep exercise equipment, such as light weights or a yoga mat in your work space you can use during breaks.
- Stay well fed and well hydrated enjoying healthy, nutritious options, to keep yourself focused and grounded.
- Take deep belly breaths, or diaphragmatic breathing, with a longer exhale than inhale, to refresh your body, mind and spirit. Keep a note nearby to remind yourself to breath while you are working.
Mend your mind
- Smile and laugh, even if you don’t feel like it. Your mind and emotions follow your body; move your facial muscles into a smile and practice laughing, thinking of a time when you were joyous. Remember: Seven days without laughter makes one weak. 😊
- An attitude of gratitude can brighten your day. State aloud or silently three things you are grateful for before and after you work.
- Stay in present moment focus so you can take in and release what you need. The present is the point of power, where change can happen. If you find yourself in the past or the future, gently refocus and notice what is around you. Your senses will orient you to the here and now.
Gather a team of helpers
- Set an intention or say a prayer before and after your work sessions for your wellbeing. See yourself in detail receiving in the here and now, with a body sense of what it feels like when it happens, then offer thanks.
- Ask for help. Ask some more. Ask before you need it. If this is hard to do, offer to help first, then ask for help. Practice makes it easier to do.
- Be kind to yourself. Be compassionate with yourself. Give yourself a break. Find love and let it surround you, then pass it on from your abundance.
- You need to actually do these tips regularly to reap the benefits of enhanced wellness. Find an accountability partner to practice the tips, share your stories, and increase your chance of success and fun while working online.